Welcome to the home of Bend Ice
Founded in 2010, Bend Ice traces its roots to a small group of ice sports enthusiasts dedicated to creating a culture of ice sports in Central Oregon. Initially, Bend Ice's goal was to raise funds for construction of a seasonal ice rink in Bend. Then, in 2012, the Bend Park and Recreation District (BRPD) Board decided to present a $29 million multi-purpose bond measure to the voters. Recognizing the demand for a full-sized ice rink in Central Oregon, BPRD agreed to include funds in the measure for construction of a regulation NHL-sized rink, and asked for Bend Ice's support in passing the measure and making the facility a success.
Bend Ice actively raised funds and awareness for the bond measure, and in November of 2012 Deschutes County's voters made it a reality. The bond includes approximately $10 million for construction of the Simpson Avenue Sports Pavilion -- a covered, outdoor sports arena that will serve as a regulation NHL-sized ice rink 5 months of the year.
Bend Ice has negotiated a Memorandum of Understanding with BPRD that sets out the assistance Bend Ice intends to provide. That assistance includes, among other things:
(1) Helping BPRD in designing and programming the Simpson Ave. Sports Pavilion;
(2) Creating and operating a local association of USA Hockey to provide competitive travel hockey opportunities for youth and adults;
(3) Creating and operating competitive figure skating and curling clubs for youths and adults;
(4) Recruiting coaches, instructors and officials for local BPRD recreational and instructional ice sports programs;
(5) Creating and maintaining an ice sports gear exchange program;
(6) Developing an inventory of high-quality equipment that kids can borrow to get started on the ice;
(7) Pursuing grant opportunities to make ice sports more accessible for local families; and
(8) Creating and maintaining a website to keep people informed about ice sports in Central Oregon.
Bend Ice is a non-profit, community-supported organization with seven active Board members and a team of dedicated volunteers.
Think your student-athlete stands out from the rest? Nominate them now!NOMINATE